Here's to 2021


https://p1.pxfuel.com/preview/474/57/281/garden-flower-garden-flower-bed-tulip.jpg

Hi everyone,

As we are wrapping up 2020, it is a very different type of end of year reflection.  While so much has changed as far as school, work, family, events, and gatherings, it has, for me, forced me to stop being so "busy".  Whenever anyone would ask "how are you?", 9 times out of 10 the answer would be "busy".  That is the buzzword of our lives, and if I wasn't busy I thought that something was wrong with me.  Busyness and exhaustion came to be a badge that I would wear to show that I had something to contribute and that taking time for me (like exercising and reading) was a sign of weakness.  What March of 2020 forced me to do was to really reflect on what was keeping me so busy.  There were many things that I've missed since the spring, but there were other things that I realized I was quite happy to do without.  

Last month I was listening to an interview with Matthew McConaughey about his new book "Greenlights".  One thing that he said that really resonated with me was that you can view your life as a garden.  There are many different approaches to your gardening, but if you have too many of them to tend, some of them will not grow.  So he suggested that we pick out which gardens are important to us and water and take care of those, for it is better to have 1 or 2  gardens that are growing great flowers than to have 5 gardens that are growing weeds.  It is a different way of looking at spreading yourself too thin.....for you can be so thinly spread that no one gets the best you have to offer. 

So for 2021, my 2 gardens that I am going to focus on are my family (self-care included!) and expanding my professional development offerings within my consulting business.  As with all things, reflections will occur throughout the year and there may be events that will try to take my attention away from my "gardens" (and some may need to).  But with the focus of "what is your purpose for 2021" as a guiding principle, we shall see how it goes.

Wishing you all a safe start to 2021 and I'm looking forward to seeing how everyone's garden blooms' during the year ahead.

Talk soon,

Cheryl

Comments

Popular Posts